Sunday, March 4, 2012

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff

It's easier said than done...not worrying about all of life's little details. Don't sweat the small stuff surely was a saying made up by someone with ample free time. These days us gals lead lives that involve balancing successful careers with a home life, kids (for some) and a myriad of other commitments. In our careers we're expected to be these infalliable superwoman if we want to be viewed as being successful. Yet we're fed this notion of needing to be Martha Stewart in our home lives. There's a pressure to be perfect in all facets of our lives.  With these expectations, how can we not sweat the small stuff?  I never used to worry about lists, meal plans, center pieces and always having a plan. Red wine or white wine with dinner??? Does anyone really even care, cant we just have a beer instead?  I was happy to eat or make whatever, use paper plates and napkins (easier cleanup!) and never had a plan.  Life was simply more laid back and there was defininetly less stress.  How did I become this way?  I'm still not sure. I think part of it was growing up and thinking that this is what was expected of "real" grownups. I'm sure my job can be blamed in part.  We always have to have a plan and there's lots of attention to detail.  I think some if it stems from my desire to take care of people. But do people need place cards and linen napkins to feel loved?  Absolutely not. Or at least I hope not.  I look back at some of the things I've written about myself in the past and found a girl who was more carefree and less structured. This doesn't mean I was less responsible, I just didn't sweat the small stuff as much. I'd like to find that girl again...seems like she was a pretty good time.  So here's to not sweating the small stuff...or at least trying not to.

No comments:

Post a Comment